E-FAS, vol. 18, no. 4, pp.387-393, December, 2015
DOI. http://dx.doi.org/10.5657/FAS.2015.0387

Characteristics and Pathogenicity for Eel Anguilla japonica of Vibrio vulnificus Isolated from Oyster, Sediment and
Seawater of Korea Coast

Myoung Sug Kim1, Sung Hee Jung1, Suhee Hong2 and Hyun Do Jeong3

1Pathology Division, National Fisheries Research and Development Institute, Busan 46083, Korea
2Department of Marine Biotechnology, Gangnung Wonju National University, Gangnung 25457, Korea
3Department of Aquatic Life Medicine, Pukyong National University, Busan 48513, Korea.

Biotyping of Vibrio vulnificus strains isolated from marine environments along the south coast of Korea showed that the majority of the isolates (94.7%) belonged to biotype 1 and the remaining isolates (5.3%) belonged to biotype 2. Analysis of 16S rRNA V. vulnificus strains isolated from marine environments using a multiplex polymerase chain reaction (PCR) revealed that 78.7% were type A and 21.3% were type B. Random amplified polymorphic DNA (RAPD) was used to analyze the genomic differences in V. vulnificus among the biotype 2 strains isolated from marine environments (newly isolated strains group) and reference strains obtained from infected eels (reference strains group). The two groups had distinctly different profiles of the amplicons produced from RAPD. Additionally, biochemical comparison of these strains revealed that all four strains isolated from marine environments differed from the strains isolated from eels in their ability to promote D-mannitol fermentation. Two (NH 1 and NH 2) out of four isolates of biotype 2 from marine environments showed pathogenicity in eels Anguilla japonica in a challenge test. These isolates did not agglutinate with antisera against V. vulnificus NCIMB 2137 (serovar E), ATCC 27562 (non-serovar E), and ATCC 33816 (atypical serovar E).

Keyword : Vibrio vulnificus, Biotype, Genotype, RAPD, Eel, Pathogenicity

Download :